Friday, March 22, 2019

What is it About Boating? Finally in Georgia! Kenny Chesney!


3/22
     Why do people love boating? Why do Karl and I enjoy it so much?  Is it the salt air, the sound of the ocean, the sun, the wind on our faces, the sunsets, the sunrises, the freedom, the escape from stress?  This much I know, whenever Karl steps on our boat, I see him visibly relax,  I even see and hear him sigh!  We both enjoy the excitement of boating as well as the peacefulness it brings.  I am glad we are doing this trip now, it is what we needed.
     Kenny Chesney, the songwriter/country singer has a song that sums it all up, titled simply "Boats."  The song begins, "Boats...vessels of freedom, harbors of healing...boats."
A  Perfect Sunset!

Anchoring out at Cumberland Island, Ga.

     Sometimes it takes anchoring out to remind us of how lucky we are, to get away and enjoy the full moon and peacefulness of the evening.  We anchored off Cumberland Island, Georgia, which is a barrier island only accessible by boat.  We walked Salty through beautiful trails full of live oak trees covered in Spanish moss.  People are allowed to camp here.  They can board a ferry or bring their own boat.  Camping is pretty primitive, you have to bring all your own gear, food and supplies and take it all back, even your trash.  No roads, stores, etc.  It is actually a National Park.  We saw some families camping and they seemed to be having a lot of fun!
Feral Horses on Cumberland Island, Georgia

Just walk on by!

     There are feral horses on the island!  As I was walking down a path, I saw a horse in front of me.  He paused, stared at me as if saying, "why are you on my path?"   I stopped and stepped aside and he just passed on by.  We also saw the ruins of Dungeness, a huge winter home built by Thomas Carnegie and his wife, Lucy, in the early 1900's.  They raised 9 children here!  It eventually burned down, leaving these remains.
The Ruins of Dungeness

Dungeness

        Boats, why do we love them?  They can be a lot of trouble, but when the seas are calm, the air is crisp and cool, you are at the helm and things are working as they are supposed to, you just get a good feeling!   Then you see a perfect sunset and life just seems more complete!
   
       




   

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I know a family here in Lexington, he is actually a lawyer in our building that are I guess descendants of the Carnegie family tree and have a house there on Cumberland. There is evidently a carved out area where there are such homes. They love it!

    ReplyDelete